It's been 10 years since I was diagnosed with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma... cancer. I started this blog to share the many emotions, fears, experiences and, hopefully, triumphs that I will face throughout this journey. I have two goals for this blog, 1. To gain some degree of personal therapeutic benefit and, 2. To help others who may one day face a similar struggle by detailing the process of diagnosis, treatment and recovery so that they may know what to expect.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Thank You

Well, the word is out, I guess. I've gotten alot of emails and calls from people over the past couple of days in response to this blog. Many of them complete strangers. Some people have shared their own experiences with cancer, others have just offered words of care and encouragement. I just want to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to call or write. It means more to me than you can know.

I've been thinking that 10 years from now, I would look back on this experience as being the greatest thing that's ever happened to me. That may very well be the case but the reality is I don't know if I have 10 years. The good news is, I've realized from this outpouring of goodwill that I don't need to wait 10 years to see this experience as a blessing. Yesterday, I had lunch with a friend whom I had lost touch with years ago. Today, I received an email from another old friend whom I had always regretted leaving on bad terms. Cancer has allowed me the opportunity to reconnect with these and others.

But it's not just old friends checking in. Like I said, many people whom I have never met have offered me their well wishes. I'm really amazed at the beauty of humanity. The truth is, before this happened, I was not a particularly happy person. Sure, there were things that I enjoyed like my family and my Terps (not lately) but I had lost faith. The compassion that I've experienced over these past few weeks has made me see the good around me once again and I am happier now than I have been in a long time. That probably doesn't make much sense but it's the truth.

So, to all of you who have helped me find some sense of peace, thank you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mikeshafer, I can't thank you enough for sharing your journey, I find a lot of comfort in your blog as my husband is now going through the same nightmare you, Michelle & Mason had to endure starting May 2006. From the bottom of my heart, I thank & commend you for this blog. I referred so many family members to this blog, I hope they understand the hard effort you made to make our journey easier....you truly are an amazing human being! Thanks

3:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home