It's been 10 years since I was diagnosed with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma... cancer. I started this blog to share the many emotions, fears, experiences and, hopefully, triumphs that I will face throughout this journey. I have two goals for this blog, 1. To gain some degree of personal therapeutic benefit and, 2. To help others who may one day face a similar struggle by detailing the process of diagnosis, treatment and recovery so that they may know what to expect.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

One Week Left

September 26, 2006 - As of today I officially have 5 treatments left to go. I should be feeling good about that but frankly, misery has struck in full force. I can hardly speak thanks to the thick mucous that now coats my throat and mouth. It has caused me to gag on several occassions. I also have a number of sores on and underneath my tongue which makes spitting the mucous out very painful. I am tired and lethargic. I can't imagine this getting any worse but fear that it probably will before it starts to get better. People keep telling me how "good" I look but this is euphemistic for "you don't look nearly as bad as I would expect!" Well, whether or not I look it, I certainly feel it. To top things off, the radiation machine stopped working today... IN THE MIDDLE OF MY TREATMENT! Ugggh. This sucks....

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that the trek seems arduous, however it seems to me you have great family, friends and those who truly admire your courage. Continue to fight.

Fellow Terp

10:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a fortunate man and very blessed.

Remember Hazel's angel on the IV tape. I suspect that angel has been sitting with you over these last few months, enduring the eternity of mortal time with you as you wait, and hope, and despair, and rest. and Recover. Make sure he has a chair.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

12:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers, good wishes and support are with you.

12:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there my friend.

-Bob

9:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael, No one in this world amazes me as you do. Thank you for giving this fight your all, for me and for our son. The road has been hard - physically and mentally - but keep in mind that the finish line is within reach and that Mason and I will be cheering the hardest for you as you cross that line. We love you so much and we are so proud of you. This will soon be behind us and life will go on in a much more meaningful way. Keep strong and know that I am here for you always.

8:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mike - I know misery has set in, the last week of my radiation treatments was the absolute worst. You can do it though - I have faith in you. I know you have the strength to get to the finish line - just look at how far you have come so far. There is a light at the end of the tunnel - hang in there - don't give up - you are almost there. Take care, Eden

8:34 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, my thoughts are with you, Michelle and Mason as you finish up your treatments. Your positive outlook is amazing.

Hang in there!!

2:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home