It's been 10 years since I was diagnosed with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma... cancer. I started this blog to share the many emotions, fears, experiences and, hopefully, triumphs that I will face throughout this journey. I have two goals for this blog, 1. To gain some degree of personal therapeutic benefit and, 2. To help others who may one day face a similar struggle by detailing the process of diagnosis, treatment and recovery so that they may know what to expect.

Monday, August 07, 2006

The Mask

August 3, 2006 - Today I went in for my preliminary CT scan prior to radiation treatments and to be fitted for my mask. In case you're not aware, radiation to the head / neck requires the use of a mask to immobilize the person receiving treatment and ensure that the proper area is treated.

The waiting room of the radiology center at Inova Fairfax Hospital is memorable for one thing. They have A LOT of puzzles. These are big puzzles too, 1000 and 5000 pieces. Do people really do puzzles while they are waiting here? Does anyone possibly have to wait THAT long? Not to mention, there was no discernable place to actually do a puzzle except on the floor and it would seem rather awkward for me to think about grown adults sitting on the floor in public doing a puzzle. Maybe that's just me.

After a brief wait, a radiology technician showed me to the lab where I was instructed to lay on the bed for a CT scan. I knew the drill. This time, there was no injection of contrasting fluid so it was pretty straightforward. This initial CT is to give the doctor a baseline of the anatomy of the tumor which they will measure as it changes (hopefully gets smaller) as treatments progress. Before the CT began, the technician applied a piece of mesh plastic (similar to plastic chicken wire) to my head and began to mold it to the contours of my face. The plastic is hot when they apply it. Very hot in fact. It hardens as it cools. The plastic has a hard border that is clamped down to the CT bed ensuring that I cannot move my head at all. This is awkward and I'm sure for many a very uncomfortable feeling. If you have panic or anxiety disorders or are at all claustrophobic, I'd recommend taking a Valium before this process. It takes about 10 minutes for the mask to harden which I'm sure must seem like an eternity to anyone who gets freaked by this sort of thing.

Fortunately, I have no such problems although I have to admit that even my heart sped up a little. I used some controlled breathing techniques to calm myself. The ceiling tiles are all bare white except for one directly above the CT bed which had a picture of a single tree in a meadow with a bright blue sky and soft billowing clouds behind it. I guess this is meant to relax people? Without my glasses on, I could barely see it anyway so alot of good it did!

After about 5 minutes in the machine, the technician used tape to mark certain areas on the mask, presumably targets for radiation. Once this was done, I was free to leave. This trip was relatively quick and painless.

As I left the technician informed me that I was scheduled to start treatments on 8/15. So now I know when my treatments will begin and end and I have my team assembled. All tolled, I will have had 6 doctors actively participate in my treatment and will have consulted with 4 others. Add to this the many admnistrators, nurses and other medical staff who have cared for me through two hospital visits and countless other appointments. There are so many people in this world who barely have access to any medical services at all. I am very blessed to have so many resources available to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home