It's been 10 years since I was diagnosed with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma... cancer. I started this blog to share the many emotions, fears, experiences and, hopefully, triumphs that I will face throughout this journey. I have two goals for this blog, 1. To gain some degree of personal therapeutic benefit and, 2. To help others who may one day face a similar struggle by detailing the process of diagnosis, treatment and recovery so that they may know what to expect.

Friday, October 13, 2006

One Week Post Treatment

October 13, 2006 - Well, it's been just over a week since the end of my treatments and I figured an update was in order. However, the truth is there isn't much to update. I am feeling a little better to an extent. The heavy mucous and mouth sores seem to be subsiding a bit. I have decent energy and stamina. The laryngitis is gone so I can speak again. Sadly, no sign of normal taste yet. But it's only been a week and I'm not expecting miracles. I really just wish I could fast-forward things a little.

The good news... tonight is Midnight Madness (or, as it is now called, Maryland Madness since corporate greed strives to suck all semblance of tradition and nostalgia out of the things we hold most dear) signalling the official start to college basketball season. It is truly the most wonderful time of the year!

I've been passing most of my time reading ( just finished Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis - an EXCELLENT book if you're an Ellis fan and if you've read American Psycho) and am now in the middle of David McCollough's 1776 (another excellent book). Frankly, I'm tired of reading books about cancer and cancer treatments. Part of me wants to forget about the whole thing although I know that's impossible. The spectre of recurrence and, in my case, waiting to find out if these treatments even worked will never allow it. I envy those survivors who have managed to regain normalcy. This is indeed a very, very long road.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home