It's been 10 years since I was diagnosed with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma... cancer. I started this blog to share the many emotions, fears, experiences and, hopefully, triumphs that I will face throughout this journey. I have two goals for this blog, 1. To gain some degree of personal therapeutic benefit and, 2. To help others who may one day face a similar struggle by detailing the process of diagnosis, treatment and recovery so that they may know what to expect.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Good News!

January 27, 2007 - The biopsy results were negative! So, I guess that makes me officially cancer free, at least for the time being. That's about 4 months down and 56 to go!

Life is essentially back to normal. I still get alot of "you look good" or "you sound great" or comments to that effect. All well intentioned I'm sure but really, lets move on. I saw a t-shirt in my wife's US magazine that said "I know I look Good!" that I think I'm going to get. I know people often don't know what else to say and that it's meant to be complimentary but at this point, I'd like to think I'm beyond any cause to look anything besides 'normal.' Now, if people feel compelled to tell me how strikingly handsome I am, that's another story! J/J.

Anyway, my next step is a follow up with Dr. Tonnessen in March and then Califano the following month. I'll continue to post information as it becomes available.

On a different note, I've been thinking about this NASCAR driver who recently passed away from head and neck cancer. I forget his name but he was fairly young, maybe in his late 40's? Anyway, he was diagnosed about a year ago with oral cancer and then went through chemo and radiation treatment. I believe he was all clear for 3-4 months before having a recurrence in his neck somewhere. It was just a few months after discovering the recurrence that he died. Very sad and very scary to think that this person could die from this disease less than a year after he was initially diagnosed. This is the fear that keep me and others like me awake at night.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brett Butler (the baseball player, not the actress) is a H&N cancer survivor. Diagnosed originally at 38, I think, he's still cancer free after surgery, radiation and chemo.

11:23 AM

 
Blogger Opposcity said...

Hi Mike, Congratulations on being cancer free.
That is great news that I hope continues to hold true for you and your family, for years to come.

I've read with great interest about your experience ever since stumbling across the blog. I've appreciated your frankness, as well as the tangible sense of hope, frustration and fear that come with a cancer fight. I have not had to endure this fight, but you've helped me understand it, which has helped me understand what my job's really all about. See, I'm the marketing copywriter for TomoTherapy. I'm the one that found your blog and sent the link around to others here. And I just wanted to say thanks. It's helped us keep everything in perspective.

I thought you may be interested in our new site: tomotherapy.com. Please let me know what you think. You'll see we have a patient, Chuck, spotlighted upfront. Maybe you could be up there some day discussing your experience? We'd be honored. Sincerely, Kevin O'Malley

2:56 PM

 
Blogger Bobby G said...

First let me say thanks to you for this blog. I have basically read it 'cover to cover' over the last 2 hours. My mom just began her radiation treatments (with Dr. Tonneson no less!) for a cancer very similar to yours. You have given me a great deal of insight into what my mom is enduring. Unfortunately, I live in San Diego and can't share her struggle with her as much as I would like to.

If she continues to go to the support group meetings, you might even see her there. They also live in Northern VA.

I hope your good health continues and rest assured that you and your family will be included in our prayers. I look forward your next posting.

God bless!

ps- You need a new team to root for. The Terps are yesterday. UVA is the future! Go 'Hoos! :)

6:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home