It's been 10 years since I was diagnosed with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma... cancer. I started this blog to share the many emotions, fears, experiences and, hopefully, triumphs that I will face throughout this journey. I have two goals for this blog, 1. To gain some degree of personal therapeutic benefit and, 2. To help others who may one day face a similar struggle by detailing the process of diagnosis, treatment and recovery so that they may know what to expect.

Monday, November 27, 2006

8 (?) Weeks Post Treatment

November 27, 2006 - Again, sorry for the delay in posting. Can it really be almost 8 weeks since my treatments ended? The weeks are really starting to fly by now with the holidays upon us and all. To be honest, there really isn't a whole lot to update right now. I'm still in the holding pattern of waiting for my first PET scans to determine if the treatments were successful.

One thing that is noteworthy I guess is that I am now back to a strictly solid foods diet. The Ensure and Boost shakes have been gone for about a week. I am able to eat an increasingly wider variety of foods as long as they are not too dry although the taste of most things is still very muted and bland. Foods no longer taste "bad" though so I can deal. Thanksgiving dinner was not what I remembered it to be which I can't help but be a little disappointed about but on the other hand, I had no problems with any of it (lots of gravy helps!) so I guess that is worth giving thanks. Maybe by Christmas I'll be able to enjoy it more. Dessert and sweets in general, however, are still an issue although this is probably a blessing in disguise.

Other than getting ready for the holidays and watching a promising young Terps basketball season, I've been trying to keep my mind off of the ominous message from my doctors about the spot that can still be felt on the base of my tongue. I'm really trying to stay positive but the waiting and wondering gives plenty of opportunity for one's imagination to run wild. We took my son to see a movie over the weekend and one of the previews was for a movie that isn't due to hit theaters until November of next year. That's one full year from now and it occurred to me that I may be watching the preview of a movie that I won't even be around to see. Talk about surrealism, folks.

1 Comments:

Blogger Noli said...

Thanks for the extra tix to the basketball game - my nephew and niece really enjoyed the experience. It's been great getting to know you this year and keep up the fight! -Noli

3:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home